Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda or Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment is a form of sweating inducing treatment. It helps in improving muscle strength besides rejuvenating and re-energizing the body. There are vast Navarakizhi benefits because both milk and rice are used for the treatment.
These food products are applied externally where milk is processed with medicinal herbs and a special type of rice are mixed together for using it as external therapy because it provides strength and nutrition to the bones, muscles and other soft tissues.
Preparation of Bolus
The term ‘Shashtika Shali’ refers to medicated rice, ‘Pinda’ refers to bolus and ‘Sweda’ refers to the sudation which is performed using bolus (a small pocket or potli made by wrapping the cloth of medicated rice).
Soft and clean cotton cloth is required for the preparation of bolus. The main components that are required for Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment includes milk, rice, medicated oil or medicated ghee and balamula (herb). The use of medicinal herbs usually depends upon the characteristics of the body and the nature of the disease of the patient.
The balamula roots are cleaned and chopped into pieces and then it is boiled in water until the portion gets reduced to one-fourth. If the balamula root is unavailable, the ayurvedic therapists use balamula root powder as an alternative way. After boiling the balamula roots or the root powder, the portion is strained to remove all the solid ingredients from it.
Then it is mixed with milk and divided into two portions where the first portion is added into the rice and the second part is used for dipping the boluses before rubbing into the patient’s body to induce sweat.
Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda Procedure
The pre-treatment phase of the Navarakizhi is crucial because it involves a detailed examination of the patient. The reason for the careful assessment during the ayurvedic consultation helps the ayurvedic doctor to determine the use of various herbs in the mixture depending on the patient’s condition. This Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment is vital for the formation of the bolus based on these herbs.
Before the commencement of the treatment procedure, the patient is given Abhyanga (Full body oil massage) and Shiro Abhyanga (Indian head massage) to maintain the calmness of mind and body during the entire procedure. The oils which are included for the head massage are lakshadi oil, ksheerabala oil, chandanbala lakshadi oil, himsagar oil or shatavari oils. The oils included for full body massage are chandanbala lakshadi oil, ksheerabala oil, dhanwantharam oil, mahanarayana oil or sahacharadi oil.
During the Treatment Procedure:
This massage therapy in Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment requires trained practitioners where the patient is asked to lie on the table. Then, the bolus is dipped into hot processed milk and rubbed against the patient’s body. Circular strokes are used for the joints. Downward strokes are used from neck to the lower back and from the hips to the feet.
The whole therapy must be conducted in a synchronized and uninterrupted manner. A warmer one should be replaced when the bolus gets the cold or when the heat is lost.
The signs of an effective state of Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda which can be seen immediately during the therapy are: rise in the body temperature, excessive sweating, lightness in the body and mind, and reduction in pain and stiffness.
After the Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment procedure is over, the bolus is opened and the rice mixture is rubbed gently on the patient’s body for about 10-15 mins. Then, the patient’s body is wiped out with a clean cotton cloth or tissue after which, the patient is advised to take rest for a while and he/she is advised to take a warm bath. The main treatment usually takes 45 – 90 mins. The course of the whole therapy might vary between 7-21 days depending upon the situation of the patient.
Benefits of Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda
Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda or Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment proves to be beneficial in the following ways:
- The Navarakizhi benefits have proven efficiency and are indicated in neurological disorders, muscular disorders, emaciation and blood related problems.
- It helps to relieve pain, overcome swelling and stiffness caused by joint disorders like arthritis.
- It improves the blood circulation and metabolism besides inducing the sweating to make the body feel lighter and relaxed.
- This Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment is effective in vata induced disorders.
- The strength of the bones, tissues and muscles gets improved which in turn prevents degeneration of the joint tissues and muscles.
- The use of various medicinal herbs energizes and rejuvenates the body and corrects the diseases associated with pitta dosha.
- It enhances movement and flexibility of the stiff joints.
- Moreover, Navarakizhi benefits the skin by increasing the lustre, softness and complexion of the skin.
Though the Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment therapy is based on the usage of all-natural ingredients which is very effective and safe, there are also a few precautions which are important to prevent the negative side effects. These precautions include:
- This therapy should not be undertaken in cases of fever, fractures or severe inflammation.
- The Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda or the Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment should be performed only by expert ayurvedic therapists.
- If a patient develops excessive sweat during the treatment, the treatment should be stopped immediately in order to avoid dehydration.
- Some patients might get skin burns when bolus is applied too hot on the skin. Therefore, proper care should be taken to avoid such instances.
- Moreover, it is advisable for patients with uncontrolled diabetes and hypertension to avoid this therapy.
Thus, if you or your loved one is in need of the Navarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment, it is always advisable to visit the expert ayurvedic doctor at the best ayurvedic centre like the Rajeshwari Ayurdhama in Bangalore to ensure that you get the best treatment possible besides acquiring the Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda or Navarakizhi benefits during the entire treatment procedure.